Sunday, April 6, 2008

Beast by Donna Jo Napoli and Rafal Olbinski.


I gasp roughly.
Beast and warrior glow white, burning, against the gold ground.
The sun glints off the illuminated pages as it glints off the metal mar-snake-that twists around and around from my wrist to my elbow. My fists clench; I am aghast at dying, aghast at killing.

And thus begins the story of a Persian prince, who is doomed to become a beast.
I've always loved the story of Beauty and the Beast, and so I pranced upon this book, eagerly.
The story is told in first person, from the view of Orasmyn, a young prince who sets an ancient curse in motion by angering a fairy. Not very smart! He has to leave behind his beloved family in order to escape death at the hands of his unknowing father.
To India and back he travels, across Europe to France, in search redemption and forgiveness. Not knowing that a young French beauty named be Belle would be his redeemer.
I liked this book but I don't think I loved it. I did like the way she worked roses into the story (no I'm not going to tell you) and also learning about Muslim customs and other rituals I would never have learned otherwise! I do know for certain that I was absolutely fascinated by Donna Jo Napoli's way of retelling this classic story, and from a view not many people have ever thought of before!



warning: Some very graphic details.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hmm, sounds interesting. I read another book by this author: Zel. It's a retelling of Rapunzel. I think you'd like it.

Traci said...

hmmm..it does sound interesting. I really like the story of Beauty and the Beast. I will have to remember this one! ;)